Saturday, August 30, 2014

News from the MTC

Before we post the news from Elder Takis, here is a little explanation of terminology for those readers who aren't familiar with the way things work in the missions.  Each missionary is assigned a companion, elders or sisters working together by twos as established by the Lord to support, strengthen, encourage, and protect one another. A companionship is the basic unit of missionary work. Several companionships are grouped in a district, a geographical administrative unit. Multiple districts are grouped together in a zone, usually with several zones making up a mission. The world is geographically divided into 406 LDS missions, with 83,035 missionaries currently volunteering worldwide. 

There are 15 Missionary Training Centers in the world, the largest being in Provo, Utah, where Elder Takis currently resides. Though the MTCs are buildings and not miles and miles of space, large numbers of missionaries are there and they are divided administratively according to the geographical terms listed above to study, work, dine, and recreate together.

Elder Takis and his companion, Elder Lawrence, outside the Provo LDS Temple,
which is across the street from the Provo MTC.

Elder Takis and the rest of "A" District.
"A" and "B" Districts make up the zone Elder Takis is a part of.

Elder Takis writes, "We have all become super good friends. My roommates...are so awesome! I love them! We already are sad we are going to be separated when we get to Denver. But we are going to stay in touch...and hopefully we will be companions at some point."

"A" District in class, minus Takis who is taking the photo.

Elders in the zone.


Elder Lawrence, happy to be a missionary.

The first news from Elder Takis must be prefaced with this:  a Takis is still a Takis, even in the MTC.  In a letter dated 8/26/14 Elder Takis wrote, "I sprained my ankle today playing basketball. We had gym time and that's generally what we do. I run and do push-ups and sit-ups and things like that, too. Anyway when I went for a rebound I landed flat on my ankle, like the side of it. I'm lucky I didn't break it. I definitely had angels watching over me." (Not sure he's aware of how much his little sister and little brother are praying for him "to be safe at the MTC.")



Elder Takis also writes, "Me and Elder Lawrence (my companion) have had the opportunity to teach two people here at the MTC. It's a great experience, but also a hard one. We think we are getting somewhere with them and then come to find out just the opposite. We have a lot of work to do. We love it though. One of them we just started teaching the other day and I love him! His name is (B.R.). He plays lacrosse and goes to BYU. He doesn't have a religious background but he wants to learn more about our church. He goes to church with his friend and likes it so that's good. We also gave him a Book of Mormon to study and he was totally willing to read it! That's at least some success!  Yay!

"I miss you guys! But I'm so glad I'm out here! It's really hard, I'm not going to lie, but it's so worth it!"

Elder Smith and Elder Takis, graduated MC baseball teammates and
old friends from home. Elder Smith will be serving in Mexico.











No comments:

Post a Comment